Above Nav Container

Utility Container

Search Trigger (Container)

Button (Container)

Mobile Menu Trigger (container)

Off Canvas Navigation Container

Close Trigger (container)


Health and Safety

If a child becomes ill or injured at school and requires special medical attention, the following steps shall be taken:
  1. Give emergency first aid as required.
  2. Notify the nurse. Nurse or designee will evaluate the situation and determine the disposition of each case.
  3. Contact the parent.
    1. In case the parent or relative cannot be contacted at the first report of an illness or injury, the school may send the child home if adult supervision is available at home.
    2. In case a parent or relative contacted has no means of getting the sick or injured child home, the school may send the child home in accordance with the parent's request.
    3. If the parent or relative cannot be contacted in case of illness or injury, the school may secure the services of emergency medical services (Rescue 20) or any previously designated in writing by the parent, but it shall be made clear that the school assumes no responsibility for the emergency services or fees they may charge.
    4. All school personnel should be informed (on a need-to-know basis) of children who have special health problems that may require special attention when an injury or an illness occurs (hemophiliacs, diabetics, epileptics, allergies, etc.) If school determines that emergency medical service is needed, Rescue 20 will be contacted. The Rescue 20 emergency team will determine if the child should be transported to a local medical facility or to an out- of- county facility depending on the nature of the injury/illness.
  4. All accidents resulting in personal injury that require special medical attention are to be reported as follows:
    1. All personal injury accidents that require special medical attention, occurring at school, on the way to or from school, or at school related activities, are to be reported.
    2. At the time of the accident, the incident report form will be completed and submitted for the principal’s signature before being forwarded to the Central Office.

It is school board policy that neither prescription medications nor over-the-counter medications, such as aspirin and cough syrup, may be dispensed by school personnel. Under special circumstances, school personnel may administer medication if the following guidelines are met:
  1. Written permission of parents or guardian is given.
  2. All medications are kept in the school office.
  3. Medication is in original container and labeled with: a) student's name, b) name of medicine, c) dosage, and d) doctor's name. Forms for giving medicine at school may be obtained from the school office. A telephone call to parents confirming statements will be made when necessary.
  4. A student with an acute or chronic disease or medical condition may possess and self-administer medication that must be administered on an emergency basis while the student is on school grounds or off school grounds at a school activity, function, or event if the student's parent files an annual authorization that includes a written statement from the student's physician for the student to self- administer the medication.
  5. Medication that is possessed by a school for administration during school hours or at school functions for students in grades PK-12 may be released only to the student's parent/guardian or to an individual who is eighteen (18) years of age or older and who has been designated, in writing, by the student's parent/guardian to receive the medication, unless a doctor's note or Form 5330 FS is completed granting permission to transport medication to and from school.


Jennings County School Corporation is required by law to require that every child who enrolls in our schools must be immunized against diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus, measles, rubella, poliomyelitis, mumps and hepatitis B.A child may not be permitted to attend school beyond the first day of school without furnishing a written statement of immunization history.

Parents must provide either documentation that their child has been fully immunized or documentation that immunizations are in progress. The parent must furnish a written statement and a time schedule approved by a physician or health department. A medical or religious exemption must be on file if student has incomplete immunization record because of medical contradications or religious beliefs.